Raw meat in pet foods is not the same as freshly killed prey in the wild. Your dog is not the same as a wolf. Be careful about all the misinformation surrounding "ancestral diets" and feeding raw. Your heart is in the right place by not feeding kibble but the risks surrounding food safety and proper nutrition with a raw food diet can be deadly serious.
5 reasons that raw pet food can be harmful:
- E. Coli and Salmonella present in raw meat can make everyone in your household very sick, including your dog
- Raw meat often contains parasites that can infest your dog’s intestines
- Raw meat in pet food has no safety regulations for manufacturing or transporting
- Almost all raw food diets are not nutritionally balanced for dogs, leaving them deficient in essential vitamins, minerals and fatty acids.
- Bones that are often given with raw food can cause choking or puncture to throat or intestines